Many people have never gone without electricity. In fact, to them, it is almost impossible staying without electricity. But at the rate at which people are misusing electricity, it will not take long before people stay in the dark. It is important for all of us to save electricity. This article will give some tips on how to save electricity. Read on.
- Clothing. Wear clothes that fit the current temperature. For example, you can wear layers of clothes during winter to keep you warm. This way, you will not need the heater.
- Standby power usage. You might not be aware of this, but your phone charger still consumes electricity if left on the socket even if it is not charging. Standby appliances accumulate up to about 10% of your energy total bills.
- Close the curtains and the doors. If you want to keep your house cool or heat, closing the doors and curtains works best. You will get a warm house without consuming electricity.
- Always keep your thermostat set. Did you know that heater makes about 30% of your monthly electricity bill? This means one thing, 20% degree set up translates to 10% more on your bill. Set your thermostat such that it’s 18-20 during winter and at 26 degrees over the summer.
- All appliances should remain off. I mean the fans, heater, the cooling system, TV, and lights. Make it a habit of turning them all off when no one is in the room.
Cold water for washing. Using cold water for washing in winter saves a lot of electricity. By doing this, you will notice a huge drop in your electricity bill. Reduced electricity bill means reduced electricity usage.
- The fridge. A good number of people keep the fridge/ freezers on 24/7. If your gadget is in good condition, it should remain cool for some time without the power on. Master your fridge timings, and you will not have to keep it on the whole day.
- Insulate your roof. Insulating your roof keeps your house warm and reduces your electricity usage by a huge margin.
- Kitchen. This is another area where huge amounts of power are used. You can thaw frozen food and use the microwave oven since it consumes less power. If you are using the stove, always place the lids on when cooking. This way, food gets cooked faster.
- Use energy saving bulbs. Replacing your bulbs with energy saving bulbs saves you a lot of energy. If you have light indicators, remove them as they consume almost 20% of electricity. Avoid chargers with indicators as well.